SPARSH (Sensitization, Prevention And Redressal of Sexual Harassment) Committee
The Vel Tech MultiTech Dr.Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College shall be committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women and shall take proactive steps towards gender sensitization and elimination of sexual harassment.
In order to take proactive steps and sustained efforts towards gender sensitization and prevention of workplace harassment of all kind, the College shall have an Apex Committee consisting of the following:
- Three persons, of whom at least two shall be women, from among the teachers of the College, to be appointed by the Principal, the senior most of the woman member shall be the Chairperson.
- Four persons, of whom at least one shall be a woman, from among the teaching staff of the College, to be nominated by the Principal.
- Two persons, of whom at least one shall be a woman, from among the Students of the College, to be nominated by the Principal of Students’ Welfare (PSA).
The chairperson and members shall hold office, as such, for a term of two years from the date on which they assume office or till such time as the Principal may decide from time to time.
The Apex Committee shall, with the approval of the Principal of the College:
- Evolve a permanent mechanism for prevention and redressal of gender based discrimination, sexual harassment and other acts of gender based violence;
- promote gender equity, obliterate gender-bias, eliminate discrimination against women, prevent and protect women from sexual harassment and gender-based violence;
- Take measures necessary for creating a social and psychological environment for harmonious and healthy relationship at workplace;
- Shall design and organize awareness campaigns, gender-sensitization programs, orientation and training for sensitizing the students, staff and teachers of the College about gender-based discrimination and workplace harassment;
- Organize counseling, guidance and help centers aimed at preventing and protecting women against discrimination and sexual harassment;
- Frame and issue policies and guidelines of good conduct and behavior among the students, staff, and teachers of the college;
- Take suo-motu cognizance of any act of gender discrimination, gender bias and sexual harassment on the campus and direct the Complaint Committee to look into the matter and make their recommendations for their redressal.
College Complaint Committee (CCC)
For effective and efficient discharge of the complaints against sexual harassment, the College shall have a College Complaint Committee (CCC) consisting of the following members:
- One of the Members of Apex Committee to be appointed by the Principal, who shall be the chairperson.
- Three persons to be appointed by the Principal from amongst the women teachers of the College.
- One person to be nominated by the Principal from amongst the women non-teaching staff of the College.
- The chairperson and members shall hold office, as such, for a term of two years from the date on which they assume office or till such time as the Principal may decide from time to time.
The Complaint Committee shall have the rights and duties to:
- Receive and register, in strict confidentiality, complaints from students, staff and teachers of the College and/or from any other person from outside the college against sexual harassment by a student, staff, teacher, service provider of the College;
- Request the college authorities to initiate necessary action for lodging complaint with the appropriate authorities, in case of sexual harassment by an outsider, i.e., by a person or persons unconnected with the College;
- Take cognizance of complaints about sexual harassment, and conduct inquiries, provide assistance and redressal to the victims and recommend penalties and other action to be taken; and
- Conduct a formal inquiry against the student/teacher/non-teaching staff /service provider of the College allegedly involved in a case on the basis of its findings during the preliminary inquiry maintaining strict confidentiality.
Sexual harassment shall include such unwelcome sexual behavior (whether directly or by implication) as:
- Unwanted physical contact and advances;
- A demand or request for sexual favors;
- Making a sexually-colored remarks;
- Exhibiting/displaying/showing pornography; and/or
- Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature.
Actions Taken by the Committee
- The aggrieved party may lodge complaint of sexual harassment, either in writing or orally, directly to the Principal, or to the Chairperson or to any Member of the College Complaint Committee.
- In case the complaint is made orally, the same shall be recorded in writing by one of the Members of the College Complaint Committee and shall be read out to the complainant and signed by the complainant and countersigned by the member.
- The complaint received as such or as recorded in writing shall be forwarded to the College Complaint Committee for conducting inquiry.
- The College Complaint Committee shall hear both the parties involved, i.e., the complainant and the accused in a manner as it may deem appropriate, and determine the course of action that the situation merits.
- The inquiry shall be conducted under the rules and procedures already laid down by the College and will be in conformity with the principles of natural justice.
- The formal inquiry shall commence within a week and shall be completed within two months from the date of its reference.
- If the CCC (College Complaint Committee) finds it impractical to dispose off the case within the given time, it will be recorded in writing, and the period may be extended by the Principal.
- Depending upon the severity of the case, the College Complaint Committee may
- In case of employees of the College, recommend disciplinary action including penalty and punishment as per college rules;
- In case of outsiders/service providers to the College, request the college authorities to initiate necessary action for lodging complaint with the appropriate authorities; and
- In case of students, the penalty, punishment and disciplinary action against the offender may include:
- Written apology
- Fine in cash
- Bond of good behavior
- Debarring entry into hostel/campus
- Expulsion from the college
- Denial of re-admission
COMMITTEE of SPARSH
The following members are appointed for the “COMMITTEE of SPARSH ” in compliance with the Bye Laws of the college framed by the Board of Management of the College for a period of two years with effect from 12-12-2014.
APEX COMMITTEE of SPARSH
The Apex COMMITTEE of SPARSH Against Women is constituted with the following members.
|Sl.No||NAME||DESIGNATION & DEPT|
|9||Ms.Monisha R||Student Member|