About the Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is an energetic and emerging department started in the institution during the year 2006. It was started with the initial sanctioned strength of 60 intake of students and increased to120. The Department has been accredited by NBA for 3 Years and Anna University has recognized with permanent affiliation. The Department has well furnished laboratories, highly qualified faculty members with passion for both in teaching and research and supports them to take up positions of responsibility in the society and make significant contribution. The Department has fetched a Gold medal in AICTE-CII survey. Innovative projects of the students such as Versatile Bicycle, Crankless engine, Wheel chair have won awards and accolades in forums such as ICTACT, SAE etc. with around the year activities. Through the Professional Body Society of Automotive Engineers (India)”, our students continuously enrich knowledge base in ‘Mobility Engineering’ and are contributing to the ‘Service and Humanity’. The Department is marching ahead towards the needs of the industry to complete with the growing technology for Nation development.
The innovative teaching and research activities are brought into limelight with the support of our faculty members who are well qualified and experienced in their fields of study. The department is well structured and built up with more spacious and ventilated class rooms.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To become a centre of eminence in educating students to become triumphant mechanical engineers.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To endue the students with the fundamentals of mechanical engineering with a passion for lifelong learning of industry practices.
- To propagate lifelong learning.
- To impart the right proportion of knowledge blended with attitudes and ethics in students to enable them take up positions of responsibility in the society and make significant contributions.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEOs)
- PEO 1: Graduates will apply their knowledge and skills to solve the problems in the field of Mechanical Engineering occurring in industries and transportation
- PEO 2: Graduates of the programme will find employment as Mechanical engineers in engineering and business or will be admitted for higher studies
- PEO 3: Graduates of the programme will solve problem with professionalism
- PEO 4: Graduates will be taught and exposed to the emerging technologies to cope up with technological obsolescence
- PO 1: Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO 2: Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO 3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO 4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO 5: Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO 6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO 7: Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO 8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO 9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO 10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO 11: Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO 12: Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes(PSOs)
- Foundation of Mechanics of Machines: Ability to understand the principles and working of machines.
- Foundations of Mechanical development and Technical Skills: Ability to understand the structural development methodologies of machines. Possess knowledge of design process. Familiarity and practical competence with machines.
- Applications of innovative ideas for machines: Ability to use knowledge in various domains to identify research gaps and hence to provide solution to new ideas and innovations related to Mechanical Engineering.